Today’s high-performance Internet search engines have been developed and refined in a remarkably short period of time.
Academics and scientists had rudimentary tools similar to search engines as early as the 1970s. However, the amount of information they accessed is a mere drop in the bucket compared to what the average computer user can access today.
Just one search engine Google (www.google.com) has indexed more than 3.3 billion web pages as of October 2003 an increase of 1.2 billion pages in 20 months – or 23 pages a second!
Here is a growing archive of the search engine history:
- 1994 – Lycos
- 1994 – The Web Crawler
- 1994 – Yahoo!
- 1994 – A Galaxy of web pages
- 1993 – The birth of Excite
- 1993 – The Web’s oldest existing search engine
- 1993 – The first web robot
- 1993 – Archie’s pal, Jughead
- 1993 – Veronica, the grandmother – or Archie’s girlfriend
- 1989 – Archie, the grandfather of all search engines
Contact Salient Marketing today to find out more about how our lead generation teams can help your business succeed.